Friday, July 8, 2011

Day 78: How politically correct is your circle of friends?


Day 78
Today, I have to see how politically correct my circle of friends is.
This is another wait until after work to do it thing.
Work is so slow today. Slower than yesterday, which is unexpected, since today’s just the day after a holiday.
But hey! I get to leave an hour early today because of how slow it is. Yay, more free time (and I can rest my feet)!
I get home and just spend time relaxing, talking to Mike online.
Then my mom takes me to Joanns to get fabric and things for my Dalek costume. I’ve just got 2 months to make this before the convention.
I find fabric that’s almost perfect—but more importantly than perfect, it’s cheap.
Actually, I get the fabric, pattern, and some of the trim for less than $20. Yay for holiday weekend sales!
So now, 10:30 pm, I’ll finally do today’s task.
Caucasian. Check.
Hispanic. Well, I used to have a Mexican friend back when I lived in California, but I haven’t talked to her since I moved. Since we’re Facebook friends, I’ll say it counts.
Japanese. I think so yes? I can’t name a person, but.
Chinese. Check. I can’t remember her name, but there was a girl who I hung out with sometimes towards the end of senior year. She was a bit clingy, but nice enough.
African/American. Yes! I have black friends! This makes me not a racist, right? (or does the fact that I don’t assume anything about people based on the color of their skin make me not racist? I think it’s that.)
Native American. I have a bunch of friends who say they’re part Native American, but I don’t know how much they have to have to count for this.
Pacific Islander: One of my coworkers is Filipino. I don’t hate him, so that makes him friend enough.
Indian/Pakistani. I had a Pakistani friend, yeah. But she moved to the UAE when we were in 7th grade, and I haven’t talked to her since, so we’re not really friends anymore. Facebook friends though.
Other Asian: is what I call Mike on Glee, and since my boyfriend’s name is Mike, this totally counts really.


--

I have mostly white friends because I live in a predominately white area. even back in California, I went to predominately white school.
I don't want to be called racist. I have never been outrightly called racist, but I have had other white people, both friends and strangers, think that I'll automatically agree with their racist jokes.

I don't even know what to say. I try to walk the PC line but I'm scared I'll cross it somehow. Even without intending to.
Shouldn't people be offended by the intent behind the word, not the word itself? If I offend you without honestly knowing what I'm saying is offensive and you know there's no offensive intent, then do I deserve the same treatment as someone who does proudly use ethnic slurs?
Sometimes I don't feel like that distinction is ever made.

0 comments:

Post a Comment