Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 74: Express your views today

Day 74
Today, I’m supposed to express my views. I’ll go to the book’s website and say my views.
But first, work. Work sucks today.
I don’t even feel like explaining why work sucks again, ‘cause I just ranted to Mike, so I’m gonna copy/paste that.

ghostlyhamburger: This morning I was freaked out that there was possibly a bug in my cereal, because I saw one a few days ago, so I was eating really slow and examining each piece. This made me late.
ghostlyhamburger: Also, my mom was watching Little People, Big World this morning, and that show just really bugs me.
[Mike]: :[
ghostlyhamburger: Then work sucked. Manager offered me my break really early, so I refused 'cause I didn't want to stand for 6 straight hours. But then I didn't get my break until way later. Which would've been okay if I wasn't really really hungry about 5 minutes after I refused the break.
[Mike]: i hate being hungry at work
ghostlyhamburger: Especially serving food. I kept wanting to grab fries off of people's trays.
ghostlyhamburger: There was a good moment during my break. I got to talk to you and I got to try one of the new smoothies. It was so good.
ghostlyhamburger: But then I had to actually work again which sucked 'cause I went right back to the lunch rush.
[Mike]: just think of all the money you'll have when you get back to school

Then Mike had to leave, so I’ll continue my rant here for you all.
For the first time today, I actually yelled at a customer. He was saying “medium coke, 3” and then being confused when I asked if he meant 3 sodas. So I raised my voice and I let him know I was annoyed when I asked “which meal?”
Turns out he meant meal #3 and a medium coke, but it was the middle of the lunch rush and the blender was going nonstop making those new smoothies and it was so loud I couldn’t handle it anymore. I needed to snap.
I did apologize to the guy, but still.
I actually felt a lot better after that. I hate having to be polite to people.
I’m a nice person, really, but some of my customers just don’t deserve politeness. They deserve sarcasm and yelling. But I still have to be polite.
I was alone during this lunch rush, really. The only other one there was this new guy who was extremely slow. So I had to take the majority of the orders.
Later on, my foot was hurting so bad (I’d rubbed it raw with my shoes) and I was tired. I wanted to go home.
But 15 minutes before I could leave, I was assigned to clean trays. Which is fine, it’s not a hard task.
But even though there were two people on registers on either side of me, people kept coming up to me to place their orders.
The only reason I can think of for this—and this is going to sound horrible, I know—is that the other two cashiers were black and I’m white. There are apparently a lot of racist customers around here, those who ask my Hispanic coworkers if they speak English, and those who choose to talk to me because I’m white.
I know some people would think I shouldn’t be offended because I’m the preferred one here, but I don’t want to be. I don’t want to see this kind of thing going on, I want to live in a happy world where I think racism is completely gone from the utopia that is Massachusetts and I don’t have to feel guilty just for being white.
I hate reality.
Also, I almost crash the car on the way home because people are bad drivers. That just puts me in a bad mood even more.
But hey. Now my feet feel better (I got Neosporin on the sore spot) and at least there was a good point to this day—those smoothies are awesome.
As I’m falling asleep tonight, I realize something: I never actually finished today’s task. Oops.


--

Looking now at the racism accusation, that does sound really bad.
I have seen a few racist customers. I doubt that everyone I saw that day was racist, maybe one or two was, but I was just angry and pissed off that day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment