Monday, May 2, 2011


Day 11
Today, I am supposed to talk to someone who I know by sight, but have never spoken to them.
I try to talk to this girl in my writing class. She sits next to me every day, and I don’t even know her name.
But then I notice that she’s drawing a caricature of a black person, and her drawing has really big lips. I can’t say anything to her, I know all I would be able to say is something terrible, and I’d cause a big scene in the class.
Besides, she’s racist. She doesn’t deserve my attention.
Not that I’m even black. I’m pretty much as white as they come. And I can’t say I’m offended on behalf of other people, as I know that ends up being even more offensive. But seriously, anyone knows a drawing like that is just wrong.
Between classes, I go to the bathroom and realize that my period has soaked through my underwear and stained my jeans. Thank God for dark denim, no one notices. But still, this convinces me that I should’ve talked to that girl. Not following the book’s task is bringing me bad luck.
I hide in my room for most of the day. I’ve got bad cramps and I just don’t want to deal with people.
But I bring myself out of my room for another class later. There, I talk to the girl I sit next to and I learn her name for the first time, but I’ve talked to her every day. This doesn’t count.
And so my bad luck continues. I go to the convenience store to redeem a coupon for Ben & Jerry’s ice cream—and they don’t have any Ben & Jerry’s. I’m sad.
There’s a floor meeting in my dorm tonight. I forget about it and show up late.
When it’s over, though, I finally manage to seek out someone to introduce myself to. She lives on my floor and is in one of my classes and I never speak to her.
I learn her name’s Emma. We talk for a short time about where we’re living next year, then head back to our rooms.
I get an email then saying one of my classes tomorrow is cancelled. So now I’m convinced—the book is bringing me good luck when I follow it.


--

I don't remember this day at all, isn't that weird?
it's weird looking back on what happened a year ago. Such a mundane day.
Last night there was a riot outside my dorm because of Bin Laden's death. That is a day that will be remembered. But the year before won't.

0 comments:

Post a Comment