Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Day 20: Poetry Day


Day 20
Today starts out great.
I wake up to Mike’s kisses.
He takes me out to breakfast—bagels and then drinks at Starbucks. Tastes so good.
But then when we return to the dorm, I start feeling sick. Stomachache and my throat is so sore.
Mike’s ready to leave anyways, so we say our goodbyes.
Now, I’m just sitting here waiting for my parents to show up. They’re going to help me pack up my room—I’m going home soon!
Today’s task, I almost forgot it. I’m supposed to write a line of a poem.
Iambic pentameter? Not a problem. Let’s see.
“I love Mike and I know that he loves me.”
Ten syllables, unstress-stress pattern. That’s iambic pentameter, right? I’m not a poetry person.
And I’m supposed to put this line of poetry on thiswebsitewillchangeyourlife.com.
I can’t figure out how to do so.
So, thiswebsitewillchangeyourlife.com, it’s your fault if I have bad luck today. Not mine.
My parents come, and we pack up my room. Most of it, anyways. We run out of boxes, and there’s some things I need for the last few days anyways.
We go to Olive Garden for dinner. I love Olive Garden, mostly the breadsticks. The food is so good but I cannot finish it.
I want to cry coming back to my dorm tonight though. My life for almost a full year is packed into boxes, and almost completely gone.


--

The bane of being an English major: I have to face poetry a lot.
I admit, some people can write really great poems and really have talent for it. However, when you tell a class of 30 to write a poem, 28 of them will write pretty words with random line breaks, do it in 5 minutes, and people won't know the difference between that and a good poem.
So, I hate poetry. I'll readily admit to not being any good at it, and when I do have to write a poem, I'll do something shocking and actually try!

This'll make this post way longer than it needs to be, but I do feel like sharing things I've written.
A poem that I spent 2 minutes on, and a poem I spent a few hours on. Both were equally lauded by my classmates. Let's see what the random people of the internet think.


Abandoned

You told
me to go
and you’ll
meet me there.
You
didn't.
Bright happy
people, and
harsh lights,
and we should
be in there. But
you
left me.
Stranded.


 The Council of the Animals

 
The Council of the Animals
met only once a year.
One of every species
came from far and near.

The Dogs and Wolves gathered.
Great Cats remained alone.
The Birds perched in the trees.
The Lion took his throne.

“Let every creature speak!”
the loudest Monkey called.
“The Greater Beasts begin
then Lesser, tall to small.”

The Eagles had no space for nests.
The Cheetah had lost their prey.
In this way, every Animal spoke
until the Unicorn had his say.

“We have befriended Man!” he said.
Each Animal began to shriek.
“For our protection, we give them horns
to save their ill and their weak.”

“Man is our enemy!” shouted the Wolf
“He kills without a care!”
The Unicorn said, “Give Man a chance!
There is nothing to beware!”

Each Animal grew louder
shouting protests more and more
until finally they were silenced
by the Lion’s mighty roar.

“The Unicorn is a traitor!”
he shouted, his fangs bared.
“You put all of us in danger!
Why are you not scared?

 “Your pride will be your downfall!”
continued the Lion’s cry.
“Man can only think of himself!
All the Animals will die!”

The Animals began to gather
all around the Unicorn.
Realizing what would happen
the creature lowered his horn.

The Lion did not stop the fray.
He let the Animals attack.
He heard the snarls and the screams
And yet he turned his back.

The grass was black when it was done.
The Lion turned and gave a sigh
and towards the fallen Unicorn
strayed not a single eye.

“The sacrifice of a species
is such a terrible thing.
But it is best for Animalkind,”
proclaimed the creatures’ King.

The Council now was ending
with the setting of the sun.
Silver blood stained Animals’ paws
reminding them what was done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment