Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 31: Nauru Awareness Day


Day 31
Today is Nauru Awareness Day!
I’m supposed to send a letter to the president of Nauru, but a quick calculation on the USPS website tells me that for a simple letter, that’d be over $25.
I’m sorry, Book, but I don’t have that kind of money. Yes I just got a job, but I haven’t started yet.
But I will be wildly aware of Nauru today. I’ll read every word of the Wikipedia entry on it and simply be very aware of all those facts.
Apparently Nauru used to be called Pleasant Island. Now I can’t help but imagine it as that place in Pinocchio where all the boys get turned into donkeys.
There’s one airport on the island, and when it’s closed the only access to the island is by ship.
Nauru has no army, but they rely on Australia for defense. They do have a police force, though.
Nauru has no tourism and a very poor economy. People should go there, it sounds interesting. I’ll copy/paste this from Wikipedia: “the oceanic climate is relatively pleasant and there are several sites of historical interest, particularly from the days of the Japanese occupation in World War 2. The sea near the island teems with pelagic gamefish and tuna and would be of interest to anyone who wants to fish where few outsiders have fished before.”
Literacy is high, so is obesity.
I have learned about Nauru and I will be aware of all this throughout the day.
I call McDonald’s, because even though the manager gave me a job, I haven’t heard anything from her and she’d said she’d call.
No luck with that, though. She’s not there.
I continue my day normally. I go back to cupcake making, and that’s fun. The cupcakes turn out all pretty.
My parents take me out to dinner. By dinner, I mean we eat at a movie theater that also happens to serve food.
I’ll be honest, I’m completely forgetting Nauru at this time.
Maybe that’s why we almost die on the way there. It’s raining and my dad’s driving a little fast, so we skid on a sharp curve and nearly hit the guardrail. We don’t, but it’s still completely terrifying.
The movie we see is Date Night. Not the best movie, but it’s not bad. I laugh a lot.

--
So, it was not a mistake that I didn't do a new post yesterday. Read the book and you'll get it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment