Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 2: The Love of Your Life


Day 2
Today, I am supposed to look at everyone I meet and consider falling in love with them, spending the rest of my life with them.
I automatically rule out all the girls I see. Yeah, this is Massachusetts, but I’m straight.
This will hard for me, I can already tell. I really love my boyfriend, I don’t want to look at other guys. But the book says to, so I will.
I start my day with a brutally early 9:30 AM class. I check out all the guys, and instantly decide I couldn’t spend my life with any of them. (To clarify, I hate all but two people in this class. So it’s not like I’m being wicked judgmental here.)
A girl comes to class completely stoned. Understandable. It is 4/20 today.
I sit through this class, agonizing about how it’s unbearably long, but then it finally ends.
My next class is awesome. It’s about House, as in that awesome TV show that everyone watches. Technically, it’s a medical ethics class, but everyone calls it the House class.
I sort of pay attention to the guys here, but mostly I talk to my friend Ariel. The only guys I notice are Ariel’s boyfriend (an obvious no) and the guy that we secretly call Asshole, who’s stoned today. (of course he’s a no. We call him Asshole, seriously.)
Today’s topic is mandatory vaccinations. For the record, I’m all for them.
As I tell you what happened in this class, I must warn you first that Ariel and I have nicknamed almost everyone. I don’t actually know their real names.
Redhead is arguing for those who are immunosuppressed and need to be protected from diseases.
EMT Bitch and Poodle are arguing for mandatory vaccines.
Smoker Chick is against mandatory vaccines, but I think she is for vaccines in general, except new ones. She wants better studies on those. I think. I kind of tune her out, because I just don’t like her.
Lesbian is the sole crazy idiot who doesn’t believe in vaccines. She says there’s no reason to get them just because everyone else is getting them. Ariel and I pass notes that basically call her a stupid crazy bitch.
I know for sure Asshole would be chiming in on this conversation, but he’s too stoned today.
After class, I go to lunch. I take a look at all the guys who pass me and I realize I’m not interested in a single one.
As I’m eating, I pull out my phone and look at my pictures of Mike. That’s the guy I want to spend my life with. I can imagine us together at 80, holding hands as we sit in our rockers and watch the sunset together.
But the book says to look at other guys, so I will.
I head up the hill to my dorm and pass this guy I vaguely know. I realize I don’t know his name, but I think he lives in my dorm. He’s also a no.
I should learn his name, really. But I didn’t bother to stop and ask him.
I watch my Angel DVDs in my room. David Boreanaz? Yeah, I could spend my life with him.
I have to leave my dorm again for another class. I see that guy again and I still don’t know his name. I still don’t ask.
I head to class. I go to class, turn in my paper, and leave before it actually starts. Not that I skip class often, but I’ve got a gigantic paper due in a week and I need to work on that.
I walk back up the hill, again, and I pass by people sitting out on the grass doing the obvious thing you do on 4/20.
I don’t look at any of the guys. I don’t want a pot-smoker.
But I do accidentally breathe in the smoke from someone’s joint. I’m not quite sure what’ll happen next.
Apparently, nothing. At first, anyways.
Then I get kind of mellow and really into the music I’m listening to. The headache that I’d had fades away. I don’t know if I’m high, but this is kind of awesome.
I try texting Mike, and find that I can’t type right. Maybe I am high.
But the feeling lasts just a few minutes. My headache returns even worse.
At dinner tonight, I resume my guy-watching. I see this guy I know and like, Greg. He was in my acting class last semester. I think maybe there’s a possible future there, but then I remember that he’s probably gay. So I only nod and say hello to him, then pass him by.
And even if he’s not gay, my best friend Stephanie is semi-dating a guy named Greg. We don’t need two Stephanie-and-Gregs here, that’d just be weird.
The only highlight of my night after this is watching Glee. The Madonna episode. I’d probably enjoy it more if my whole dorm didn’t smell like pot.

---

So, apparently I was a bitch last year!
No really, I just thought that the nicknames of the people in my House class were funny, and I wanted to share. I know now you don't care.
I still love Mike, but apparently I'm not in that honeymoon phase anymore. I wouldn't mind being with him forever, but it's no longer constantly at the front of my mind. My thoughts back then were really mikemikemikemikemike.
Oh and that high? I later learned it was all in my head. I still do not know what being high feels like, but I do know that pot is still everywhere on campus around this time of year. "Extravaganja! today it's legal!" "4/20! hehehehehe" "Earth Day! Marijuana is totally natural!"
and for the curious, Stephanie and Greg have moved from semi-dating to actually having a relationship, good for them. they're pretty much not mentioned again here. (Well, Steph is, Greg isn't. I haven't met him.)

0 comments:

Post a Comment